You may have a loyalty program that rewards customers who perform certain activities enough times. This can be a good way to show your more active customers that you appreciate them, and also provides an incentive for those customers to keep coming back to advance within the program.
Loyalty Program Background
Loyalty programs will of course be designed differently for any given company. For the purposes of this walkthrough, we will stay somewhat generic - to obtain each tier, customers will be required to create a certain amount of site content; we will call this site content "sets".
Our sample loyalty program will have 3 tiers - reaching these tier will have the following requirements:
- Tier 3 (lowest tier): All customers start at this tier
- Tier 2: Requires 25 sets to be created
- Tier 1 (highest tier): Requires 100 sets to be created
Further, we want to communicate with our customers that are close to reaching the next tier:
- Close to Tier 2: Requires 20 sets to be created
- Close to Tier 1: Requires 80 sets to be created
Our loyalty program will be a campaign group that consists of 4 separate campaigns, each with its own segment. These segments will be:
- Customers in Tier 3 that are close to reaching Tier 2 (i.e., they have created 20 sets)
- Customers that just reached Tier 2 (i.e., they have created 25 sets)
- Customers in Tier 2 that are close to reaching Tier 1 (i.e., they have created 80 sets)
- Customers that just reached Tier 1 (i.e., they have created 100 sets)
Note: Zaius would know about the aforementioned site activity by receiving "set create" events. We will access this by utilizing a custom expression called "Set Create". Depending on how you design your Loyalty Program, you may need to utilize different expressions.
Segment Creation - Loyalty Tiers
Let's create the first segment - customers who are close to reaching Tier 2. These customers will have just created their 20th set.
- Navigate to the Customers page via the Customers option on the top navigation bar.
- Click the "+ Segment" button.
- Click the "Create a New Segment" button.
- Click the "Behavior" tab.
- Create a behavior path with 1 step:
- Everyone who matched Set Create at least 20 times with same Event Type in the previous all time
Let's break down the above behavior step piece by piece.
Everyone who matched Set Create at least 20 times with same Event Type in the previous all time
- Everyone: We begin the segment without limiting it in any way.
- who matched: We want customers who did do this step that we are currently defining.
- Set Create: We want customers for whom we received an event that tells us they created a set.
- at least 20 times: We want customers who did this action at least 20 times.
- with same Event Type: We are requiring that the event types be the same for all events. This part of the sentence is required for other types of campaigns, but is redundant in our case.
- in the previous all time: We are not limiting the timeframe of this action. It is limited only by how far back Zaius has the necessary data.
We can follow the same process as above to create our next 3 segments.
Everyone who matched Set Create at least 25 times with same Event Type in the previous all time
Everyone who matched Set Create at least 80 times with same Event Type in the previous all time
Everyone who matched Set Create at least 100 times with same Event Type in the previous all time
Follow the instructions outlined in the Campaign Creation documentation to create and define a campaign for targeting your Loyalty Program customers.
Additional Campaign Setup Considerations
Prioritized Campaign Group
With the above setup, it would be possible for customers to fall into multiple segments. E.g., if they created 80 sets (close to Tier 1), they would also have created at least 25 sets (reached Tier 2), and they would also have created at least 20 sets (close to Tier 2). For this reason, we will create a prioritized campaign group that ensure customers receive the campaign that indicates the most progress within the loyalty program.
Due to this circumstance, we'll want to create a prioritized campaign group. The priority order should be as follows:
1. Reached Tier 1
2. Close to Tier 1
3. Reached Tier 2
4. Close to Tier 2
We also want to ensure that a customer only receives any one of the above emails a single time. As such, we'll want to add a campaign constraint of "and have not matched this campaign in the last all time".
Further, we want to ensure that a customer never receives an email regarding loyalty program progress that is lower than they have already been informed about. Consider the following situation:
To ensure the above scenario does not play out in the undesired way outlined above, we create additional campaign constraints. The complete list is as follows:
After your campaign begins sending, you'll want to analyze results. See the various analytics help pages for further information on how to dive into metrics for the campaign. Good places to start: