A segment is a group of users that can be identified by a set of behaviors or attributes. Think of a segment as a group of customers that you can describe and that you want to evaluate together.
In Zaius, segments are not static. If a customer has behaviors or attributes that qualifies them for a new segment, they will automatically be included in that segment whenever it is used in a report, analytics, or a campaign.
With Zaius segmentation, you are only limited by the amount of data that you've sent to our platform. Segments will look back as far as you have data loaded.
Universal Segment Builder
Many pages have the ability to add and/or create a segment. To access the Universal Segment Builder, click on the "+ Segment" button near the top of the page. This will open up the "view mode" of the builder:
In this mode you can either select a predefined segment from the list on the left or create a new segment by clicking the "Create a New Segment" button. If you choose a predefined segment from the list you are given four options:
- Apply: This will apply the segment to the page, which will filter all of the results on the page to include only the customers that meet the criteria of the segment.
- Edit: This will open the segment in the "edit mode" of the builder so that you can make modifications to the segment.
- Clone: This will create a copy of the segment. This is useful if you want to use the definition of an existing segment as the start of a new segment.
- Delete: This will completely delete the segment from everywhere in the application.
If you choose apply, the segment will be added to the page and will show a thumbnail view of the active segment at the top of the page:
If you choose edit, clone, or create a new segment, you will be shown the "edit mode" of a segment. When edit or clone is chosen the definition will be populated. When you chose to create a new segment, you will be given a blank slate.
While editing a segment, you can add filters from the following categories:
- Engagement: Purchasing-related behaviors such as first/last purchase timestamp, categories and products viewed/purchased, and lifecycle.
- Behavior: A series of steps that a customer has completed. More details here: Segmentation: Behavioral Modeling
- Demographics: Customer-level attributes.
- Sources: Campaign UTM parameters.
- Technographics: Technology-related behaviors such as device type, browser, and mobile device.
- Custom Fields: Custom fields for Events that were added specifically to your Zaius deployment. Note: custom fields for Customers will appear in the Demographics tab.
Arbitrary subsets of customers
You may want to select a subset of all users in order to ease a transition to a new campaign or to a new service provider. In order to do so, use the Test Buckets setting under Demographics.
This filter breaks your audience down into 100 "test buckets", each of which is roughly 1% of your audience. Other than when user stitching occurs, users will stay in the same test bucket, and thus campaigns are guaranteed consistency in bucketing from day to day.