Some customers may have been active in some fashion for some amount of time, but then became inactive - these customers are at risk in that there may only be a certain amount of time to recapture their attention before they are lost as customers. If those customers were reminded of your brand, they may be encouraged to return to the site.
Segment Creation - At Risk Customers
There are several ways to create an At Risk segment:
- Utilize the default segment definition via the Lifecycle view
- Build a segment with a custom segment definition
In the Lifecycle view, one of the selectable customer categories is "At Risk". Select that column in any of the lifecycle stages. You'll see the At Risk columns all become highlighted. At the same time, the description at the top of the page will change to "Customers in any segment, in any lifecycle stage, and in At Risk".
Click the "Save as Segment" button in the top right corner, and provide a name. This segment is now usable for campaigns.
Depending on the nature of your business, the default definition may not suffice. In this case, it is worthwhile to create your own custom definition for your At Risk customers. The below steps provide an example of how to create such a segment using an At Risk definition of customer who visited your site 14 days ago but haven't visited in the last 2 weeks.
First, create a custom expression for "pageviews that occurred 14 days ago":
- Navigate to Engage > Expressions via the top navigation bar.
- Click the "Create New Expression" button.
- Create an expression that requires:
- Event Type = pageview
- Timestamp ≥ 14 days before now
- Timestamp < 13 days before now
First, create the Behavior:
- Navigate to Customers > Behaviors via the top navigation bar.
- Select "New Behavior".
- Create a behavior path with 2 steps:
- Everyone who matched Pageview 14 Days Ago at least 1 time in the previous 14 days
- and then did not match Pageview at least 1 time for all time
Let's break down the above behavior steps piece by piece.
Everyone who matched Pageview 14 Days Ago at least 1 time in the previous 14 days
- Everyone: We begin the segment without limiting it in any way.
- who matched: We want customers who did do this step that we are currently defining.
- Pageview 14 Days Ago: We are using our custom expressions to include customers for whom we received a pageview event exactly 14 days ago.
- at least 1 time: We are only requiring that customers did this action a single time.
- in the previous 14 days: We are limiting the timeframe of this action to the previous 14 days. Note that we defined a more precise timeframe within the custom expression, so we just need to make sure the timeframe here is inclusive of the timeframe defined in the custom expression.
and then did not match Pageview at least 1 time for all time
- and then did not match: We want customers who did not do this step that we are currently defining.
- Pageview: We want customers for whom we did not receive a pageview event. Note that this is the default pageview expression, not our custom expression for pageviews exactly 14 days ago.
- at least 1 time: We are looking for customers who didn't perform this action at least once.
- for all time: We are limiting the timeframe of this action to any time after the first step.
Next, create the segment:
- Navigate to Customers > Customers via the top navigation bar.
- Click the "+ Segment" button.
- Click the "Create a New Segment" button.
- Select Behaviors in the Segment creation sidebar
- Select the Behavior you created previously.
Follow the instructions outlined in the Campaign Creation documentation to create and define a campaign for targeting your At Risk customers.
After your campaign begins sending, you'll want to analyze results. See the various analytics help pages for further information on how to dive into metrics for the campaign. Good places to start: